Monday 22 February 2010

Miss Woodman


I have to pay a bit of a tribute to Francesca Woodman, she is one of my biggest inspirations.

I've never been so in love with black and white images as I am with Woodman's work. Theres so much I want to say about her but I can never find the right words that would do her work justice.




I love how she dominates almost every one of her photographs but at the same time blends in with the soft grey tones and backgrounds. The movement and motion paired with slow shutter speeds makes her and the other female models almost invisible and speaks volumes about females in society, not being seen or heard, blending in with the background.


I find it heartbreaking that such a talented young woman ended her own life after problems with her relationship, depression and not being noticed with her work. And it makes me more angry that it seems that people only take notice once your dead. Her books are rare and out of print and the ones being sold second hand are in the 100's of pounds. If only she had this kind of exposure when she was alive. She achieved so much by the age of 22, I'm 22 now and dont think I could achieve such amazing and meaningful images in all my life.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...